interview by vanessa willoughby
1) Why did you decide to name your line "Lost Queens?" What does the phrase represent for you?
The name "Lost Queen" comes from a Pharrell song that I had on repeat for a while. The song represented what I felt I needed at the time, but I wanted to give it to myself. I knew that no one could be what I wanted until I was that for myself. The phrase itself just represents a lost part of ourselves. Women wear so many hats; we're so many different things to everyone that I felt that we pushed that celebration of our godliness to the side. Society, our jobs, the media, family & others sometime don't allow us to just be FREE and I wanted to create that safe space for us.
2) What's on your vision board?
Editorials in major magazines. Black girls. Positive affirmations. Travel, travel, travel. Stability & balance.
3) The best piece of business advice you've gotten thus far?To always be authentic with my story and the process. Lost Queens is not just about the jewelry, but it's about the overall journey that I take as a black woman navigating this entrepreneurial space with no formal training.
4) What is your self-care routine?
I like to put music on loud and not work for at least an hour. I know that doesn't seem like much, but for almost two years, I've built this by myself so I was on my phone literally all day; an hour without posting on any social media, looking at emails, sourcing products or anything. i like to try new recipes, deep condition my hair. Folding laundry is really therapeutic for me too. I dance in my underwear a lot; tell myself good things in the mirror.
5) Feminism, womanism, or neither?
6) How do you defeat a creativity block?
I keep going. I do the work, I read books, listen to music, hang with my sisters and absorb that energy; read articles about magical black girls, browse tumblr. I really check in with myself and listen to the Universe on what God would have me put out to the world
7) The last song you listened to?
Rihanna - Kiss It Better
8) What's your favorite track on Lemonade?
That's a hard one. Top 3? Sorry, Love Drought, Pray You Catch Me
9) Who is one TV character you love to hate?
I really love Cardi B lol
10) Use one word to describe the future of Lost Queens?