We aim to create a program for emerging writers & editors to actively engage in a literary atmosphere as they navigate their daily lives outside of their craft. The program is structured to offer a well-rounded literary experience -- WT fellows will grow their administrative & editorial skills, create & develop new creative work, & add to our collaborative ecosystem. The fellowship hopes to address the intellectual & curatorial labor process in a way that is mutually sustainable.
The 12-month long fellowship includes:
• Writing and editing a chapbook to be published through Honeysuckle Press
• Editorial internship in one or more WT or Honeysuckle Press departments
• Writing mentorship & private Guest Seminars (past WT seminars have included Danez Smith, Fatimah Asghar, Kaveh Akbar, Safia Elhillo, Hanif Willis-Abdurraqib, and Richard Siken)
• As a cohort, conceptualizing and curating a WT issue
• A monetary honorarium
The Application Process
The application includes questions about personal identity, writing experience, editorial interests & a creative writing prompt. After review the first round of applications, the Fellowship Advisors will conduct interviews with the finalists. After the interview 5-7 Fellows will be chosen and notified through email.
The Boring, but Necessary Stuff
• The fellowship will begin in January of 2018.
• There is no application fee or tuition fee.
• Writers 18+ may apply.
• Applicants must not be an alumni of or currently enrolled in any MFA Writing program. The fellowship is open to both poets and prose writers.
• The fellowship is open to writers who have not published a full-length manuscript in any genre. Self-publications are exempt.
• The fellowship is open internationally.
• There will be opportunities for in-person dialogue and collaboration but the vast majority of the fellowship will be online.
• Fellows must commit to the 12 month responsibility.
• The submission portal will be open from August 29th to December 1st.
• Applications will be accepted through the form linked below, only. Emailed applications will be deleted unread.
Looking forward to your application!