We aim to honor new and emerging poets and prose writers who are creating electric work. Submissions will only be accepted from writers who have not yet published a novel or collection of any type. We don't believe in reading or entry fees, so entries for the awards are free (though we do have optional tip jar submissions!). We believe that identity is an imperative factor of any writer's process so we ask that each writer submits an artist statement to help us better understand their work. This statement should be the first page of your document, but should not include your name or previous publications. Additionally, we believe that writers deserve to be paid for their work, so we've allotted a cash prize of $250 for the award winners.
What We're Excited By
"Send me stories that feel true. Emotionally, on a visceral level, true. I love characters. I want to laugh and I want quirks and I want my heart to break"
Randa Jarrar, Prose Judge
"What I privilege above maybe anything else in a poem is delight. I delight in surprise. I delight in new knowledge, in access to new experiences. I delight in music, in unexpected silences, in poems that lull and arrest. I think a great poem delights across many of these dimensions."
Kaveh Akbar, Poetry Judge
The Submissions Process
Each entry will be reviewed thoroughly by our readers. Our readers will see your pieces & your artist statement but not your biography or name. The pieces that our readers love will be forwarded to the judges as semifinalists. Both judges will review the pieces as well, then create a short list of four finalists and one award winner. The winners will be publicly announced on November 1st 2017.
All award winners and finalists will be published in the following Winter Tangerine Issue.
The two award winners will receive a box of (gently used) books, (never used) strawberry jam, and a check for $250.
All finalists receive our kudos & $20.
The Boring, but Necessary Stuff
• Entries will be accepted of unpublished poetry and prose from writers who have not yet published a collection of poems or short stories or a novel. Writers who have published chapbooks may enter.
• Writers may submit up to four poems (totaling no more than eight pages), and/or two pieces of prose (totaling no more than twelve pages). Writers may submit one entry in both categories.
• All work submitted for the Winter Tangerine Awards will be considered for publication in Winter Tangerine.
• Your submission should be Times New Roman or Garamond, size 12. Prose should be double spaced, poetry should be single spaced. Please title your submission as the title of your piece(s). Please put no more than one poem on each page.
• Please include an artist statement on the first page of your submission. Use this space to show how your identity helps shapes your work. It should be no longer than two paragraphs. This statement will not be included in publication -- it's for us to have an extra lens when viewing your work. Literature does not exist in a vacuum; identity is an important shaping factor in any artist's work. Please do not include your name or specifically identifying information in this statement.
• You may not submit work to Winter Tangerine that has been entered in the WT Awards. You may submit other work to Winter Tangerine while we adjudicate the Awards but any double-entries will be rejected.
• The submission portal will be open from May 1st to August 1st.
• Submissions will be accepted through Submittable, only. Any submission sent through email will be deleted unread.
• No identifying information (name, email address, phone number, etc) is allowed in the document uploaded to Submittable or in the title of your submission.
• Simultaneous submissions are allowed but not preferable.
Good luck! We look forward to your work.