We aim to create a program for emerging writers & editors to actively engage in a literary atmosphere as they navigate their daily lives outside of their craft. The program is structured to offer a well-rounded literary experience -- WT fellows will grow their administrative & editorial skills, create & develop new creative work, & add to our collaborative ecosystem. The fellowship hopes to address the intellectual & curatorial labor process in a way that is mutually sustainable.
Alongside their creative writing work, the 2018 Fellows have conducted interviews, pitched and crafted WT columns and features, advised for our online workshops, and curated WT submissions.
The 12-month long fellowship includes:
• Writing and editing a chapbook to be published through Honeysuckle Press
• Editorial internship in one or more WT or Honeysuckle Press departments
• Writing mentorship & private Guest Seminars (past WT seminars have included Danez Smith, Fatimah Asghar, Kaveh Akbar, Safia Elhillo, Hanif Willis-Abdurraqib, and Richard Siken)
• A monetary honorarium
The Application Process
The application includes questions about personal identity, writing experience, editorial interests & a creative writing prompt. After review the first round of applications, the Fellowship Advisors will conduct interviews with the finalists. After the interview 5-7 Fellows will be chosen and notified through email.
The Boring, but Necessary Stuff
• The fellowship will begin in January of 2019.
• There is no application or tuition fee.
• Writers 18+ may apply.
• Applicants must not be an alumni of or currently enrolled in any MFA Writing program or PHD program. Writers in non-literary Masters programs may apply. The fellowship is open to both poets and prose writers.
• The fellowship is open to writers who have not published a full-length manuscript in any genre. Self-publications are exempt.
• The fellowship is open internationally.
• There will be opportunities for in-person dialogue and collaboration but the vast majority of the fellowship will be online.
• Fellows must commit to the 12 month responsibility.
• The submission portal will be open from August 3rd to October 3rd.
• Applications will be accepted through the form linked below, only. Emailed applications will be deleted unread.
Looking forward to your application!
Art by Charlotte Evans